Main Page Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Unread 11-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Chief Skiier

Post Indoor skiing in Ireland ?

Just saw a thread on UCD snowsports here : http://ucdsnowsports.com/index.php?o...iewtopic&t=617

And they mention that there is a new indoor skiing slope opening up soon. Anyone know anything about it ? It seems to be the same thing that Neil referred to earlier. (carpet skiing)
Unread 11-26-2008, 11:25 PM

Just happened to be browsing the board when I saw this message so I registered to reply.

I'd never skied until a few weeks ago when I tried out what I believe you're talking about (Ski Centre, Sandyford - Ski Centre, Sandyford. Endless Winter Fun. Learn to ski or snowboard on our indoor skislope.) and since then I've been hooked (hence the reason why I was browsing a skiing forum!). I'm not in Dublin at the moment and I won't be back till Christmas but I certainly plan on having a few more lessons when I'm home.

The place itself is fantastic, and obviously having never skied before, I've got nothing to compare it too, but I've been talking to some friends who are avid skiers and they were amazed with how quickly I progressed on the slope. The lessons are quite intense and incredibly good for your fitness. I've also just seen that TV3 did a feature on the Ski Centre, which is up on the site to be viewed.

Hope this helps,

Imib
Unread 11-27-2008, 10:29 AM

I was planning on getting this as a Christmas gift from the girlie, but I was surprised that the prices are so high. Does anyone know is it any good ? What are the instructors like ?
Unread 11-27-2008, 12:09 PM

I thought it was excellent, but you might want to ask someone who's skied before!

The instructors seem very competent and there are a couple of very experienced European instructors there too. I was also impressed to hear that the Directors of Skiing (the McGarrys, I think) are well qualified and run their own Ski School in France.

All in all, the operation seems well run and the slopes seem to have an incredible track record of producing good skiers.

There's more chat about the Ski Centre on boards so this might help you -> Sandyford Ski Centre - boards.ie
Unread 11-29-2008, 02:49 PM

Looking at prices, just wondering what you get for your yoyos Ski Centre Prices, Sandyford, Dublin. Endless Winter Fun. Learn to ski or snowboard on our indoor skislope.
Quote:
Regular Classes
Adult Classes
1 class €55
4 classes €208
8 classes €400
12 classes €540
and then it says
Quote:
Each lesson/class is 60 minutes duration
- Only 3 people on Slope at any time
- Maximum 6 people per class / lesson
- Tuition Ski Time is average 30 minutes per class/lesson
- Skis and boots provided
So would I get 1/2 and hour class for my €55 ??? or is it an hour ? Also if you have 6 people in a class, and only 3 people are allowed on the slope at one time, it ends up that you will either get 15 or 30 mins ski time. That means you are technically paying €220 / €110 per hour. That drops to €180/ €90 per hour if you go for 12 lessons.
Someone was asking who it's run by...
Quote:
Under the expert guidance of Jane & Ian McGarry, Directors of Skiing at Ski Centre, instructors have been recruited and trained to the highest international standards. A list of “Instructors in Residence” is available from Ski Centre reception.
Unread 11-29-2008, 07:22 PM

The way it works is 10 mins on, then 10 mins off, etc. for the hour. It seems really short, I know, I thought the same at first too. However, once you become proficient, and to a lesser degree when you're beginning, the 10 mins that you spend on the slope is very intense and you relish the 10 min break. Trust me, I've never felt my legs burn so much and I play a lot of tennis, football and rugby so I'm quite fit.

To be honest, there's no point in me harping on about it though. Your best bet is to visit the place and have a look at it yourself, or, even better, have a go. They were giving 10 min try-outs for free but now it's 10 for them but that's refundable off your first lesson so it's worth it.

Let me know what you think.
Unread 11-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Chief Skiier

@Brian : skiing itself is not really a 'cheap' sport. Equipment, traveling, ski passes etc are not really that cheap. I know that's not any justification.

As for the ski lessons, you need to invest in your skills to get the most out of a weeks skiing.
Unread 12-01-2008, 04:42 PM

I can't comment as I have not been to the facility, however 50 Sqm sounds very small. Must pop in for a look....
Unread 12-02-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawk View Post
I can't comment as I have not been to the facility, however 50 Sqm sounds very small. Must pop in for a look....
well it moves when you are on it, so it's like being on a treadmill. A thread mill is only 2 sqm. it that !
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Chief Skiier

Just checked out the site there again and they are now offering gym facilities at http://www.skicentre.ie/ so this might be a good way to get fit before you go skiing. there prices still seem high, €49 per hour for an adult. Maybe it's not the type of place where you would just go on a rainy afternoon in September, rather its more a place that you would go for lessons....

Tags
indoor, ireland, skiing