Lots of people wonder what to wear skiing, while for some it can be a fashion contest,what you wear on the slopes also has a function. Skiing equipment can sometimes be expensive, but do remember that you don’t need to buy it all at once, and it can (and should) last for years. At many of the ski resorts you can rent jackets and pants, which can be the most expensive parts of the skiing attire, and there are even some sports shops in Ireland who also offer this service. Having proper clothing will ensure that your day on the slopes is that little bit more comfortable and will allow you to concentrate on enjoying the experience. So starting from the top down, let’s see what you should remember when heading to the snow capped mountains:
- Hat / Helmet : You loose a lot of heat through your head, so having something to cover it is a must. Remember to pick something that will cover your ears, they tend to get cold too ! A helmet is something that is recommended for small children and for those of you who want to hit those off piste runs.
- Sun Glasses / Goggles : As the day goes on you will notice that your eyes will start to get effected by the glare. A pair of sunglasses will make sure that your eyes won’t be strained. Goggles can give you that little bit more protection from the elements, and in the low light of the afternoon skiing you will be able to see the bumps on the piste that little bit easier.
- Jacket: This needs to be waterproof and wind proof. If it has a snow skirt (a band that stops the snow going up into your jacket) it is a definite plus.
- Thermal top : Dressing for skiing is all about layer. Layering your clothes allows you to easily adjust how much you are wearing and to insure that you will always be the right temperature. When you are a beginner, and starting to learn how to ski, you will probably need less layers, because you will putting in more effort to stay on your feet and to get where you want to.
- Gloves: Good gloves are recommended. Gloves that are not water proof are simply not worth bringing with you. Temperatures on the mountain can reach -10°C once the wind starts blowing, and having gloves that will protect you will be more than welcomed. Skiing down off the mountain with cold & wet hands isn’t a lot of fun.
- Pants: Again these need to be waterproof and windproof. Special skiing pants are wide enough at the bottom to go over your boots,
- Thermal underwear: These are a something that you should bring with you. Most pants are not lined and you will need something to keep your legs warm.
- Socks: Sadly this has to be said, GAA socks just won’t cut it. Make sure you have some big comfortable socks or a pair special ski socks when you are going on your skiing holiday. These socks have extra padding around the toes to keep you warm and around the ankles to pad them from your ski boots. Proper socks is something that will really make your day on the slope a lot more comfortable.
- Boots: Most important in buying or renting ski boots is that they are the right size. Boots should have a ‘snug’ fit, and have the possibility to be tightened. If you find that you are already tight in the boots, then you need to get the next size up. Try to stand on your toes and on your heals, if you find that there is some movement, then you try and tighten the boots a little more. Ski boots really need to be an extension of your feet, so do spend the time to find the right pair.
Ski Wear Online
A lot of these things can be bought online, and because they are small, they can be posted to you. We recommend Irish suppliers like MacSki.com, a Belfast based operator with 25 years of experience in the ski equipment market.
Other handy things to bring with you skiing : sun cream , lip balm with UV protection and a good pair of walkie talkies.
So there you have it, I hope that you will be a little bit more knowledgeable about ski clothing and now you will know what to pack before you head on your snow holiday. Maybe you can use this as a check list before you start to pack your bag. Alot of these
If you think I am missing anything from the list, please leave a comment below !